netbios-ns/udp

Kitchener, Steve SKitchener at Broner.co.uk
Thu May 20 10:05:59 GMT 1999

Hi
I have an error on a Sun box running 2.6 and Samba 2.0.3.

The error appears in /var/adm/messages as
netbios-ns/udp server failing (looping), service terminated.
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd: Hangup

This has started since 'we' decided to use the facilities of samba to be
come a browse master, as there were local problems with the MSoft version.
We kept having broken brower lists..

Has anybody seen this before and possible knows some ware to look.

The only things that I changed in the smb.conf file were:-

dead time = 5 (wanted to save some resources on the sun)
local master = yes
os level = 34
preferred master = yes

I assume that it has something to do with it now being the browse master as
the same version of samba is running on a DEC Alpha and the log doesn't have
these entries.

Any help would be appreciated.

S.M.Kitchener
http://www.broner.co.uk/