Drive namings...

Michal Jezierski heja at xox.pl
Tue May 18 13:13:08 GMT 1999

Steve Mertz wrote:

> Just wondering if there is a way to get drive namings to change according
> to who's logged into the network.
>
> ie.
>
> 'bob' logs into windows networking and gets...
>
> E: 'bob' on server kiwi.
>
> Now if 'sue' logs into windows networking on the same pc she gets...
>
> E: 'bob' on server kiwi.
>
> But E: contains sue's stuff.  So is there a way into making 'sue' replace
> 'bob' without remapping the drive everytime?

We in our company use logon scripts to map drives, and I personally
consider it the best solution. For the home directories we had to set
browseable = yes in the [homes] section and we map it this way:
NET USE H: \\SERVER\HOMES
It has a drawback, very little though, that the home directory appears
twice in Network Neighborhood: both as <username> and HOMES.
You can also use:
NET USE \\SERVER\HOMES /HOME, or something alike, but I haven't tested
it.

Regards,

Michal