Problem mapping drive names on Win95

Dr Hugh Nelson hugh.nelson at ausinfo.com.au
Mon May 10 20:59:22 GMT 1999

> Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 16:50:55 -0400
> From: Wolfgang Albrecht <Wolfgang_Albrecht at compuserve.com>
> To: Samba <Samba at Samba.org>
> Subject: Problem mapping drive names on Win95
>
> in my Office, I'm trying to replace a Novell-server by a Linux-server. On
> the Novell-server, there is the SYS: volume. On this volume is a directory
> named DriveT. I did a map on it, so this SYS:DriveT was used as T: . If
> you link Excel sheets, which are stored on T:, to Word documents, Word
> unfortunately saves the UNC path, which is \\SERVER1\SYS\DRIVET instead of
> T:
>
> On my new Samba server, I`m trying to keep the same paths, because
> there are many hundred Word documents with thousands of links to Excel
> sheets. So I named the Linux server SERVER1, I created directory /SYS and
> a directory DriveT in SYS. In this way, the UNC path is still the same.

This is the mistake.  Create a directory and call it /DILBERT

in your smb.conf have the section

[SYS]
comment = shared folder on Server1
path = /DILBERT
browseable = yes
writable = yes
public = yes

Then from Windoze Network Neighborhood you will see
\\SERVER1\SYS

Then from Network Neighborhood, you can right click on this folder
and Map Network Drive  to T:

cheers,