SUMMARY: Samba 2.0 and passwords

Paul Crittenden crittend at storm.simpson.edu
Mon Mar 29 15:12:48 GMT 1999

I would like to see those of us who send an inquiry to this list also send
a summary of what fixed the problem so that someone in the future could
find the answer.  I searched archives for an answer and only found
questions.  Since a lot of folks reply ot individuals then even the replies
don't end up in the archives and so it would be nice if summaries were sent
to the list.  Anyway, enough of my soapbox for a Monday.  Here is what I
figures out.

I spent several hours on my computer at home over the weekend and figured
out the answer.  Since I am not a programmer I will try to explain it as
best I can and perhaps someone who is a programmer can explain why this is
the answer.
Anyway, on the system that everything worked on C2 security subsets were
not installed.  On the two that didn't work C2 security subsets were
installed.
I uninstalled the C2 security subsets from the two which didn't work and
voila everything works great, SWAT included.  It appears to me that C2
support is compiled into Samba automatically now and if those subset are on
the system then it assumes you are using enhanced security and that screws
thing up.  Like I said I am not a programmer so this could be a wrong
assumption.  I looked at the configure script and it has a section in it
for OSF and HPUX which tlaks about C2 security.  Let me know if this is a
correct interpretation.