Browsing problems in IP masqueraded subnet

Jeney Gabor dejou at sch.bme.hu
Sun Mar 28 18:08:34 GMT 1999

    Hi everyone!

    I have a subnet in a dormitory using IP masquerading, and it is
working fine. My only problem is that I can't browse the outer network
in a Microsoft machine inside. Here is the physical topology:

    O    WINS server of dormitory (152.66.148.10)

    ----------------------------    Network of the dormitory
    |    IP: 152.66.151.216 (eth0)
    O    Linux box (kernel 2.0.34, smbd version 2.0.2-19990209)
    |    IP: 192.168.1.1 (eth1)
    ----------------------------    Local network
    |    |    |
    O    O    O    Microsoft Windows machines

    The Linux box acts as an IP Firewall, and IP masquerades the inner
network. There is IPX/SPX bridging as well, so the outer Novel servers
are also accessibles. In the linux box runs the SMB server with WINS
support. The WINS works great. The Samba file server works great. If I
search inside for an outer computer, it appears in less than a second.
But when I browse the network I can see only the workgroups, and nothing
more. Indeed when I double click on one workgroup I have to wait about
one minute (!) to get the windows explorer resume working (and nothing
appears in the window of course). The Linux Box is set to be

    interfaces = 152.66.151.216/22 192.168.1.1/24 (I have 2)
    remote browse sync = 152.66.151.255 (the broadcast of the outer net)

    remote announce = 152.66.151.255 (it is worth)
   domain master = yes (to collate browse list from the dormitory's
network)
    local master = yes (to be the local master in my workgroup)
    preferred master = yes (to initiate election at startup)
    os level = 64 (to win elections)

    The Microsoft machines bind only the TCP/IP for Netbios services.

    Since this is an experimental network, I can't ask the others to use
my WINS server outside. This makes the problem a little more complicated
(it would be simple to turn off that WinNT). I have read all the
relevant docs, but I don't know what to do. Can you help me, please?

    Thanks in advance:
                                                        Jeney Gábor