Network domain logons?

Carey F. Cox carey at tabasco.lamar.edu
Mon Mar 22 20:15:47 GMT 1999

	I can't logon to the network via Win95 boxes. I tried to
	follow the diagnosis procedure, but when I get to test 3, I
	seem to have problems...

[user1 at melab user1]$ smbclient -L melab
Added interface ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX bcast=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX nmask=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

	I was also getting the following message in /var/log/messages...

Mar 22 14:04:50 melab PAM_pwdb[3597]: get passwd; pwdb: structure is no longer valid

	So, I tried using the -U switch to ensure user name was
	getting through...

[user1 at melab user1]$ smbclient -L melab -U user1
Added interface ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX bcast=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX nmask=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Password:
Domain=[MEWORK] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.3]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        netlogon       Disk      Network Logon Service
        tmp            Disk      Temporary file space
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        lp             Printer
        user1          Disk      Home Directories

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MELAB                Samba Server

	No problems the second time around. What gives? Also, why
	can't I use domain logons from Win95 client? Everything seems
	to be setup correctly. Our campus net is unfortunately flat,
	but the only server supplying the workgroup MEWORK is melab,
	thus I set it to be the local and domain master. Is this the
	correct procedure. I have included my smb.conf file at the end.

	Thanks,

	Carey

<>   Carey F. Cox, PhD             |  PHONE: (409) 880-8770           <>
<>   Assistant Professor           |  FAX:   (409) 880-8121           <>
<>   Dept. of Mech. Eng.           |  EMAIL: carey at tabasco.lamar.edu  <>
<>   Lamar University              |  WEB:   N/A                      <>
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
   workgroup = MEWORK
   server string = Samba Server
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
;   log level = 3
;   syslog = 3
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   local master = yes
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   share modes = no
# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no