Permissions

William Stuart wstuart at hae.com
Thu Mar 18 19:01:38 GMT 1999

David Lee wrote:

> As far as I can see (please correct me!) it seems impossible to say "in
> directory-A I want new files to have group-1 and permission ABC, but in
> directory-B I want group-2 and permissions XYZ".
>
> Such control is applied at the "share" level, but individual management of
> 14,000 shares seems not feasible.  We would use the "[homes]" share, which
> is defined singly and easily;  this is automatically cloned as user
> requests come in.  Thus all users get the same default umask etc, which
> applies to all their directories and files.  (Again, someone please
> correct me if this is wrong.)

Can't you use the "inculde" feature to do group based smb.conf's?  I
think that might work for you ...

For example, your main smb.conf could include [global], [homes], and
common shares, then on a group or user basis, you can include other
shares.
--
William Stuart (wstuart at hae.com)
My email address, wstuart at hae.com, is (C) Copyright 1999 William