Unable to Browse or Connect From Win98 to Samba 2.0.3

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Thu Mar 11 20:29:16 GMT 1999

Hi,

I solved the problem with the inability to logon locally with a valid user.
I had the wrong permissions on the common directory. The user foo did not
have any permissions on /common. Once I granted permission, I could browse
/common using the smbclient program. However, I am still unable to browse
the server or connect from a Win 98 client. Typing the following at a DOS
prompt:

net view \\kiwi\common

returns, after a long time, the following message:

Error 54: The network is currently busy processing other requests or is out
of resources. Try again later, or verify your network configuration to be
sure that enough network resources are specified.

First, there are only two machines on this network, the Linux server
running Samba, and the Windows 98 client. Second, if I disconnect the Win
98 machine from this network and connect it to another network where there
is an NT Server, the Win 98 machine behaves exactly as it should with the
NT Server. Finally, the Ethernet card in the Linux server is fine since I
have had it connected to a cable modem. My kingdom for a solution:)

At 10:51 AM 3/11/99 -0500, I wrote:
>Configuration
>-------------
>Client workstation: Windows 98, encrypted passwords, netbios name = montreal
>Server: Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, Samba 2.0.3, netbios name = kiwi
>I can connect locally as root as follows:
>
>smbclient \\\\kiwi\\common
>
>If I attempt to connect as a different user, by typing:
>
>smbclient \\\\kiwi\\common -U foo
>
>where foo is a user who has been added to the smbpasswd file by doing a
>smbpasswd -a foo, the server responds with:
>
>Added interface ip=192.168.1.1  bcast=192.168.1.255  nmask=255.255.255.0
>Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)
>Server time is Wed Mar 10 01:55:35 1999
>Timezone is UTC-5.0
>Password:
>
>I typed in the correct password and the server returned:
>
>Domain=[UCBL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.3] security=user
>SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree
>connect.) Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
>
>I definitely have the right sharename, username, and password.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419