Linux Samba almost setup

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu Mar 11 19:42:31 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Tom Roche" <tom_roche at ncsu.edu> carved
some runes like this:

[snip]
> - net use X: \\backpack\tmp /user:guest
>
> gets
>
> - The password is invalid for \\backpack\tmp
> - Type the password for \\backpack\tmp:
> - System error 1240 has occurred.
> - The account is not authorized to login from this station.
>
> [tmp] is setup public = yes.

What happens when you try the above with a real user account, ie:

net use X: \\backpack\tmp /user:jones

Have you tried with a win95 client?  Any problems with smbclient?
Do you pass all the test steps in diagnosis.txt?

As an experiment, I just tried mounting a share (using Net Use
under NT4SP3) as a different user (on the samba side) than my
current NT account and got the following error:

System error 1219 has occurred.

The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of
credentials.

I really don't know much about NT at all (we've only had the
machine for a few weeks, and I'm much more interested in learning
things like SlickEdit, linux apps, etc).  I'll do what I can though.

> smbclient and lmblookup work without them. In any case, I tried
> adding
>
> - hosts allow = 152.1 127.
                  ^^^^^^
You need a trailing dot to allow all addresses in your local
address space, ie:

hosts allow = 192.168.0.  127.

Hope this helps, Steve