NT Domain and Samba as a PDC

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Wed Mar 3 17:45:22 GMT 1999

Paul,

I run a number of samba 2.0.2 PDCs on Solaris 2.5.x SPARC hosts.  While
samba-2.0.2 is not advertised as having PDC support it works fine for me.
In one site, I provide all of the following services from my samba-2.0.2
PDC to about 15 NT workstations and 100 users spread across three physical
subnets:

- WINS
- domain logins
- home directories
- roaming profiles
- synchronized NIS and SMB passwords
- lots of applications including:
  - SDRC I-DEAS
  - Hummingbird eXceed
  - StarNet X-Win32
  - Microsoft Visual C++
  - Microsoft Office
  - Wordperfect Suite 8
  - ssh
  - PC-Pine
  - Cygnus GNU development environment

This all works very well and is wonderfully stable.

I did, however, run into a problem when I tried to move to samba-2.0.3.
I have a hunch that this problem may be due to the extensive byte-ordering
fixes that were made between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 because I've seen messages
from other people claiming that they are running 2.0.3 as a PDC on linux
(Intel hardware I assume).  I'll stick with 2.0.2 for now and hopefully
this problem will be fixed in 2.0.4.  I'm also considering moving to the
2.1.0-prealpha code, but this is more experimental and I wouldn't run this
in production yet.

If and when you decide to run a samba-2.0.x PDC, feel free to email me
directly if you have any configuration questions.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \