2.0.3 on SCO UnixWare 7 possible fix

David Stes stes at kava.be
Wed Mar 3 13:10:12 GMT 1999

Hello,

I'm new to Samba, and tried to get samba-2.0.3.tar.gz (latest version)
working on a SCO UnixWare 7 system.  Here's some notes:

(1) manpage bugette

It seems that man5/smb.conf.5 should, for that SCO system at least,
preferably be named man5/smb_conf.5 (underscore '_' instead of dot '.')

There was problem reading the smb.conf manpage because of that dot in its
name.

(2) shadow passwd problem

The source/configure script seems to look for a function getspnam() in
-lsec and -lsecurity.

On UnixWare 7, getspnam() seems to be defined in -lgen, and the configure
script was setting by accident HAVE_GETSPNAM to '0' (because it didn't
check -lgen ?)

After recompiling with what I believe is the correct #define HAVE_GETSPNAM
1 (in include/config.h), and after adding -lgen to the libraries, it now
seems to work.

I can use 'smbclient' on the Unix host and it now accepts my password.  I
can now also browse the services that the Unixware 7 box exports, on
windows 95.

I'm not sure --because I haven't used samba before-- whether my passwd fix
was a good fix but it may help if you have a similar problem.  Anybody
else running samba 2.0.3 on SCO UnixWare 7 ?

David.

PS:  UnixWare 7 already comes with "SCO visionfs" by default, the SCO vfsd
daemon was listening at port 139 and I did a "/etc/rc3.d/S90visionfs stop"
before I installed samba, and moved the visionfs file out of rc3.d.