Help me with the banner, please ...

Kari E. Hurtta Kari.Hurtta at ozone.FMI.FI
Tue Mar 2 10:52:38 GMT 1999

Martin Geigl:
> >         I am a lecturer in a university at my country and I have a Sun
> > Ultra Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.6 connected to a HP Laserjet 6MP.
> > Also the the machine will acts as a server for laboratory of 50-60
> > students via Samba 2.0. And my problem is, how am I going to
> > stop the server from printing banner (Unix banner) ??. Each and
> > every time my students tried to print, the server will print the
> > banner..such a lot of papers are wasted everyday. Therefore, I am
> > hoping that whoever in this whole wide world/web that can help me
> > deal with this problem.
> >         Along with this ia a copy of my SMB.CONF and my printcap
> > files.
> >         Please help me......
> > 6mp1:\
> >         :bsdaddr=sunkamarul,6mp1,Solaris:\
> >         :description=HP Laserjet 6MP - Both:
> > _default:\
> >         :use=6mp1:
> > 6mp2:\
> >         :bsdaddr=sunkamarul,6mp2,Solaris:\
> >         :description=HP Laserjet 6MP - Any:
> >
> Hi,
>
> I have a HP LaserJet 6MP, too, connected to a Linux box with
> Samba. I use the following printcap to print from Windoze:
>
> LaserJet|lp4:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp1:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp4:\
>         :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp4/log:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp4/acct:\
>         :la@:mx#0:\
>         :sh:sf:
>
> sh: suppress headers and/or banner page
> sf: suppress form feeds separating multiple jobs

(In that case printer is attached of paraller port and
 final LPD deamon is not running on printer.)

If that HP Laserjet works as * LPD daemon *, then that must be turned off
on printer end. Telnet to printer -- there is variable 'banner'
available (or use front panel of printer):

hurtta at oxygen:~> telnet xxxxxxx
Trying xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....
Connected to xxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Escape character is '^]'.

HP JetDirect

Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
> ?

        To Change/Configure Parameters Enter:
        Parameter-name: value <Carriage Return>

        Parameter-name  Type of value
        ip:             IP-address in dotted notation
        subnet-mask:    address in dotted notation
        default-gw:     address in dotted notation
        syslog-svr:     address in dotted notation
        idle-timeout:   seconds in integers
        set-cmnty-name: alpha-numeric string (32 chars max)
        host-name:      alpha-numeric string (upper case only, 32 chars max)
        dhcp-config:    0 to disable, 1 to enable
        ipx/spx:        0 to disable, 1 to enable
        dlc/llc:        0 to disable, 1 to enable
        ethertalk:      0 to disable, 1 to enable
        banner:         0 to disable, 1 to enable

        Type passwd to change the password.

 Type "?" for HELP, "/" for current settings or "quit" to save-and-exit.
 Or type "exit" to exit without saving configuration parameter entries
> /

   ===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
        Firmware Rev.   : G.07.17
        MAC Address     : 00:10:83:07:64:3c
        Config By       : USER SPECIFIED

        IP Address      : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subnet Mask     : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Default Gateway : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Syslog Server   : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Idle Timeout    : 90 Seconds
        Set Cmnty Name  : Not Specified
        Host Name       : XXXXXXXX

        DHCP Config     : Disabled
        Passwd          : Disabled
        IPX/SPX         : Disabled
        DLC/LLC         : Disabled
        Ethertalk       : Disabled
        Banner page     : Disabled

That is because global banner on / off cat be set only on
fibal lpd daemon -- and if it is printer, then you must
set it on printer :-)

/ Kari Hurtta