samba disappearing

rob at network.de rob at network.de
Wed Jun 30 07:56:45 GMT 1999

Hello everyone,

I used samba 1.9.x before and everything was fine. The samba
server lives in some local network and I could see it from my NTbox
as well as from Win95 clients.

I upgraded to version 2.0.3 and now my server is gone though I use
the same smb.conf file which is pretty basic. I can connect to it
using the "\\server\share" convention and can also see it when I do
a "search computer". When the computer is found I can bring up a
explorer window in which I can see it and all the shares, printers
etc. but strangely enough after about a minute or so the server is
not visible anymore. To mount a share automatically at startup
does not help either. There is no wins server or domain server in
the network.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Here the most basic smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT