Connecting to 1.9.18p10 from DOS boot diskette

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 7 13:10:27 GMT 1999

Hi Samba people,

>> I'm trying to connect to aSamba 1.9.18p10 share on my HP-UX 10.20 host,
>> using an MS-DOS boot diskette (well, actually a Windows 95 boot diskette,
>> but relying on the DOS-style protocol stack, etc.).
>
>AFAIK, the DOS client sends the password uppercase (like most M$
>clients) but does not encrpyt it.  I couldn't find much specific to
>DOS clients in the samba docs, but there are numerous references in
>the smb.conf man page.  Check it out.

The two DOS clients exhibit different behaviour.

The 'Basic' redirector _only_ uses encrypted passwords, even if the
server isn't configured for them, it still uses them anyway.

The 'Full' Redirector uses PlainText passwords by default.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)