random errors when printing

hubert.fauque at wanadoo.fr hubert.fauque at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 25 13:58:23 GMT 1999

Hello,

I have a problem when printing with samba:
here is my configuration:
a linux machine with debian 2.1, and an Epson 900 on parallel port
and samba installed.
a windows98 machine; I have installed the epson driver on W98;

all seems to works fine: I can read a linux drive from W98, and read
a windows drive with smbclient, but when I print a file from
W98, sometimes it works, sometimes not: I click on the print
button in a W98 app, I see a file appearing in /tmp (on the linux machine)
and sometimes the transfer stops and on windows I get an error
message "printer not available"; I reclick on the print button
without changing anything and sometimes it works or it stops but
not at the same place; when there is a *big* printing file
(e.g. a photo at 1440dpi > 20Mo) it almost always stops during
the transfer; for a small file (3Mo e.g.) it works often;

I have tried to transfer big files with smbclient or
with the windows explorer: no problem;

There is no error message in the samba log;
my smb.conf contains:

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

Has anybody an idea of what is causing this?

Hubert