Windows Policies and Samba 2.0.4b - More information

Glen Gibb grg at ridley.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 23 01:19:41 GMT 1999

Hello all,

I wrote yesterday about problems with Windows policies and Samba 2.0.4b
yesterday. Since then, I've had someone ask for a more detailed
explanation, so here it is.

Samba currently provides domain logons for a number Windows 95 and 98
clients (as well as the standard file serving). The domain logon currently
succeeds, a user's username and password is accepted and the client
computer proceeds to execute the login script (a .BAT file). However, the
client computer does not use the policy file which is located in the
netlogon share.

I will point out the the login script and the policy file are located on
the same share, both with the same set of permissions (writeable by one
priveleged user only, group and world readable).

Hopefully this will clear up any confusion that my original message may
have caused.

Glen Gibb
Ridley College