[oplock_break] Re: Nasty Samba Locking Problems

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Fri Jul 16 07:35:48 GMT 1999

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:06:17 +1000, hai scritto:

>	[1999/07/09 21:59:45, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(742)
>	  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
> 	 oplock_break failed for file <a file name here...>
I have the same problem, posted serveral times about it. I was said by the
samba-team this is a client-side problem. I was stold to upgrade the
redirector, but it happens both on win98 (which is supposed to have the lates
redirector) and win95 (with the latest vredir.vxd 4.00.1116 and vnetsup.vxd
4.00.1112 installed).

I saw that in "man smb.conf" there is the "oplock break time" parameter; I've
tried changing the parameter but to no avail.
I even foud 2 MS kb articles on the subject, but they were related to
winnt4server/winnt4ws using word97.

I've never had the problem with samba-1.9.18.

>This goes hand in hand with a high CPU load, and an apparently endless list
>of locked files (actually the same file each time) produced by the
It happens to me randomly, with no locked files, with no cpu load.

>My first assumption was that the problem was the RedHat 6 SPARC kernel -
>I'm not sure this is as stable as the Intel version.  To test the theory,
>we moved the whole system to a PC running RedHat 6.0.  To cut a long story
>short, we had exactly the same problems.
I have this problem with samba 2.0.x, both with linux2.2.10 (glibc2.1) and
linux 2.0.33 (libc5) on intel.

Please, post your problem to samba-bugs at samba.org, maybe if they see this is a
very common problem they will consider it, even if it's difficult to debug
since it's random.
Put the "oplock_break" word in the subject, in capital letters!

If you find a solution, let me know!  :-)

giulioo at tiscalinet.it