Restoring from an smbclient/gtar archive?

Paul L. Lussier plussier at baynetworks.com
Tue Jul 13 18:41:31 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I recently used smbtar (Samba Version 2.0.4) to create a tar file "backup"
of an NT filesystem.  However, when using GNU tar to extract the tar file,
I get a little ways into the 'tar xvpf ../file.tar' command and get a whole
bunch of errors:

	tar: Read error on ../file.tar: Invalid argument
	tar: Read error on ../file.tar: Invalid argument
	tar: Read error on ../file.tar: Invalid argument
	tar: Read error on ../file.tar: Invalid argument

Then tar just dies on me complaining about "Too many error".

Has anyone seen this before?  My guess is that there are possibly too many
spaces in some of the file name paths, and tar is treating this as arguments
which don't exist.  The command I used to create the tar archive is:

	smbtar -s ${SERVER} -p ${PASSWD} -x ${SHARE} -u ${USER} -t ${TARFILE}

Does anyone know of any way to extract files using GNU tar?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
--

Seeya,
Paul

	    I've been bought, sold, and now given away :)
		 LanCity->Bay Networks->Nortel->Arris