Samba 1 vs. 2, locking and Windows Terminal Server Edition

Andy Smith abs at maunsell.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 15:36:16 GMT 1999

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 10:10:14PM +1000, Jay D. Anderson wrote:

> server running 1.9.18p10, and a test server running 2.0.4b.  I have attempted
> to convert my production server over to version 2 twice now, but have had to
> back off both times because of file corruption.  I'm still trying to track
> that one down.

Same here, what sort of file corruption?  I'm getting messages from
map_share_mode about incorrect values, and perhaps, more worryingly
samba just plain cannot find some files that windows is asking for.

We are running 16bit apps (word 6.0) on winframe, the predecessor of TSE.

> In any case, using the same WTSE server, I see separate smbd processes
> created for each user on the 1.9.18p10 server, while on the 2.0.4b server,
> every user on the same WTSE server ends up using the same smbd process.  As

Quite a lot obviously changes between 1.9.n and 2.0.n because our cad guys
are in trouble with filename case when using autocad against samba 2.0.4.
When using files off a 1.9.19-prealpha server, autocad honours lower case
filenames, but when using files off a 2.0.4 server, it immediately uppercases
everything.

> I mentioned in my original note, this appears to be okay for file ownership,
> but doesn't work properly for file locking.

Locking works OK for us on 2.0.4b, but then again, both our apps (word on
winframe and autocad on nt4.0) are probably pretty naive about file locking.

> > If WTSE is treating Samba differently now then you should find out
> > why. Working on the above assumption will just lead you to the wrong
> > conclusions.

We have TSE, but it's not out of the lab yet, this is inconclusive, but I'm
inclined to agree with Jay, currently, there are 2 users on TSE host lon1,
smbstatus on samba 2.0.4 server reports one connection :-

14753   user1     lon1                          Tue Jul 13 10:22:11 1999

where user1 was the first to map a drive, and pid 14753 is now actually owned
by user2 (it was owned by user1 10 minutes ago) :-

user2 14753 11720  0 10:21:30 ?        0:07 smbd -D

BTW, this is with nt smb support = no
--
  _          __         Maunsell Ltd, IT Unit    Tel  : 0181-663-6565
 /_|   _/   (  _  '_//  160 Croydon Road,        Fax  : 0181-663-6723
(  |/)(/(/ __)//)/ //)  Beckenham, Kent BR3 4DE  Email: abs at maunsell.co.uk
        /               England.                 -or- abs at maunsl00.demon.co.uk