Help! NT not sending file to printer?

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu Jan 28 19:43:22 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Oleg Kustov carved some runes like this:

> Alain M. Gaudrault wrote:
> >
> >I've had no luck getting NT to print to my Samba-mounted printer.
> >Here's the scenario:
[snip]
> >The strange this is that if I use a command prompt on NT and type "net
> >use lpt1: \\machine\printer", and then use the "print" command,
> >everything works!  But if I use the "Add a Printer" dialogue to add a
> >network printer, no go.
[snip]
>           guest account = lp
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >        create mask = 0777
> >        print ok = Yes
> >        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
> >        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
> >        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
> >        printer driver = EPSON Stylus COLOR 640
> >        browseable = No

> I had the same problem. I solve it by adding line as above in my smb.conf.
> My UNIX is Linux that do not let print with username "nobody".

You'll need to create the lp account.  You should probably model
the permissions and stuff on the ftp account (I just set my guest
account = ftp instead of nobody).  The ftp account seems to work
fine as the guest account for samba; are there any security issues
I'm overlooking?

Steve Arnold

Stephen L Arnold                             sarnold at earthling.net
Conserving bandwidth (and bellybutton lint)