performance problems with applications

Armin Amon aamon at mgm-edv.de
Tue Jan 19 12:47:57 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'm using SAMBA 2.0.0 an a Linux Box 2.0.36 P133/128MB 100MBit Ethernet
in an NT Domain with an NT PDC and NT Workstation Clients (SP4) 10 MBit
Ethernet. I run samba in the "domain" mode.
Coping files is very fast (a lot of small ones or big ones), but if a
want to start an Application (written with PowerBuilder 6.0) it takes a
long time (18 sec). The Application EXE file is about 2 MB big, the DLLs
are about 5 MB.
Starting this Application from a NT Server takes about 4 sec. This is a
*very* big difference. I'm working an this problem for two weeks now,
trying every hint from Speed.txt.
The funny thing is, if a start it from a samba-Linux box with P90 and 10
MBit ISA Etherent, its a little bit faster (12 sec). So it doesn't
depend on the hardware.
With the Performance monitor of NT you see very good, that accessing a
NT Server there is one big peek with the maximum bandwith - accessing
samba there are some small hills over a long period.

Please help me, otherwise I have to use NT and that would be very bad.

Thanks Armin

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from peter  (192.168.0.19)
# Date: 1999/01/18 11:27:19

# Global parameters
 workgroup = DOM
 netbios name = FILE
 server string = File Server
 interfaces = 192.168.0.7/255.255.254.0
 security = DOMAIN
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 password server = PDC
 log file = /var/log/samba/samba-log.%m
 read bmpx = No
 nt smb support = No
 max mux = 500
 name resolve order = host lmhosts wins bcast
 change notify timeout = 120
 read size = 65536
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY
 load printers = No