browsing problems with 2.0.0

Jon Bernard jbbernar at cpe.uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 15 12:59:03 GMT 1999

I just upgraded our Sun OS 4.1.3 servers to samba 2.0.0 from the last 1.19
release, but the switch has changed how browsing works with NT 4.0 SP 3.

1.  After double-clicking on Network Neighborhood there's now a
considerable delay before anything appears -- before it was virtually
immediate.

2.  The computers in the workgroup no longer appear; I now get only
"Entire Network", and have to drill down to get a list of all our
machines.  (Needless to say, this isn't especially difficult, but I had
hidden the "Entire Network" icon on the new NT machines I was setting up.)

My smb.confs haven't changed; are there any parameters with changed
defaults that might be causing this?

It might be significant that whereas previously "smbclient -L server"
worked fine, it now is unable to authenticate me -- the error I get is

session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

The old smbclient works the same as before, however.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon Bernard

Here are the essential parts of the smb.conf for the master browser:

[global]
	config file	= /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L
	workgroup	= cpe
	wins support	= yes

	domain master	= yes
	local master	= yes
	preferred master = yes
	os level	= 65

	case sensitive	= no
	preserve case	= yes

	printcap	= /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.printcap
	print command	= echo "%T lpr: %U@%m %s %p" >> /usr/local/spool/print/log; /usr/ucb/lpr -r -P%p %s
	lpq command 	= /usr/ucb/lpq -P%p
	lprm command 	= echo "%T lprm: %U@%m %s %p" >> /usr/local/spool/print/log; /usr/ucb/lprm -P%p %j

	allow hosts	= 128.135.37.