makefile and path questions

Marc Haber Marc.Haber-lists at gmx.de
Wed Jan 13 21:31:04 GMT 1999

Hi!

This morning, I found a system that was still running an ancient
samba. I immediately upgraded it to samba 1.9.18p1 and had the
opportunity to fiddle with the make file after not doing this for a
couple of months.

The default makefile sorts the files like this:

BINDIR (/usr/local/samba/bin)
  smbpasswd
  smbrun
  smbclient
  testparm
  testprns
  smbrun
  smbstatus
  smbpasswd
  make_smbcodepage
  nmblookup
  make_printerdef
  smbmount
  smbmnt
  smbumount
SBINDIR (/usr/local/samba/bin)
  smbd
  nmbd
LIBDIR (/usr/local/samba/lib)
  smb.conf
  lmhosts
  printers.def
  codepages/ (code pages)
VARDIR (/usr/local/samba/var)
  log.smb
  log.nmb
  locks/ (lock files)

/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd (password file)

IMHO, the LIBDIR and VARDIR layout violates the FHS. In fact, I never
have seen a samba installation that kept the settings from the
original Make file. Since every user installs the files where he wants
them to be, samba installations usually are the pure chaos.

I'd suggest changing the layout.

ETCDIR (/etc)
  smb.conf
  lmhosts
  printers.def
  smbpasswd (password file)
LIBDIR (/usr/local/samba/lib)
  codepages/ (code pages)
VARDIR (/var/log/samba)
  log.smb (maybe renamed to smblog)
  log.nmb (maybe renamed to nmblog)
/var/lock/[samba?] (lock files)

Would this layout prove sensible as a standard for "my" installation?
Who would do it differently? I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Marc