Locally cached files

Duncan Kinnear duncanwantsnomorespam at mccarthy.co.nz
Wed Jan 6 03:13:24 GMT 1999

I've just upgraded our little network here to 2.0 beta 5.  The server is a
Data General Intel box running DGUX R4.20.

Compile and install went incredibly well and things have just about
working straight off.

However, we experienced a little 'funny' this afternoon.

A user was creating and deleting a postscipt file in a Unix directory.
She then used Ghostview on the PC client to view this postscript file. All
went well the first time, but when she deleted and recreated the file in
Unix and tried to reread it in Ghostview on the PC, she still got the
previous version of the file.

It is obvious that the PC has cached the file locally and is not seeing the
new version.  Indeed, she only saw the new version when she rebooted
her PC!

On all shares I am using the default 'oplocks = true'.  Does oplocks cause
this kind of local caching?  If so, I thought switching off 'oplocks' was
"bad".  Are there any other parameters that might be causing this?

Here are the relevant sections from the smb.conf:

[global]
   server string = Craymer's Samba server
   debug level = 2

   security = user

   guest account = guest
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   create mask = 0775

   workgroup = MCCARTHY
   wins support = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 65

and the share is:

[pc]
   comment = PC directory
   path = /pc
   writable = yes

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Duncan Kinnear,
McCarthy and Associates,			Email:  duncan at McCarthy.co.nz
PO Box 764, McLean Towers,			Phone:  +64 6 834 3360
Shakespeare Road, Napier, New Zealand.		Fax:    +64 6 834 3369