Input/output error with smbfs

Eloy A. Paris eparis at
Sun Feb 21 16:00:06 GMT 1999

Winfried Truemper <winni at> wrote:
> What am I doing wrong? I can access the NT-machine with smbclient,
> but I cannot mount it. BTW, -c does not work for me, so I am using
> echo. -Winfried
> root at xxxxx:~> echo '!/usr/bin/smbmnt /.backup' \
> | /usr/bin/smbmount-2.2 //gandalf/Backup mypassword -U Backup
> Added interface ip= bcast= nmask=
> Server time is Sun Feb 21 01:27:33 1999
> Timezone is UTC+1.0
> Domain=[] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
> security=user
> smb: \> smb: \> root at xxxxx:~> ls -l /.backup
> ls: /.backup: Input/output error

Things to check:

1) You are running a 2.2.x kernel (or at least 2.1.x where x > 70)
2) Your kernel is compiled with smbfs support, either inside the
kernel or as a module.
3) If you compiled smbfs support as a module, make sure it is loaded
(run lsmod).
4) The correct syntax for what you are trying to do is:

smbmount-2.2 //gandalf/Backup mypassword -c 'mount /.backup' -U Backup

I don't know why you say that -c does not work for you. Probably you
are doing something like "-c /usr/bin/smbmnt /.backup", which is

Hopefully when you correct the syntax everything will start working
like a charm.

Good luck.