Samba 2.0.2 (and 2.0.0) truncates/fills with NULL bytes (PR#13511)

Nicolas Pioch pioch at netscape.com
Mon Feb 8 19:15:28 GMT 1999

Jeremy Allison:
> Ok - can you reproduce this with a debug level 10 on the Samba side.

Well, yes, you have an extract of the log.smb in debug level 10 in my
original email (only the lines saying errors :-)
But I'll be glad to provide you privately the full 200 KB log,
please let me know via email directly.

> Is it reproducible with the same file on a local lan or does it only
> happen over the WAN ?

Yup, done that too (check out my second email today, explaining the
problem is independant of WAN/LAN but instead depends on NTFS :-)

> (I've seen such errors occasionally in a netbench test, but only on a
> machine we know has a flakey NIC card).

Can't be related to the NIC card, as I've reproduced the problem on
 - HP laptop with NT4 SP4 and 3Com Etherlink II PCMCIA 3c589d
 - HP desktop with Intel 10/100 Ethernet card, NT4 SP4
 - noname desktop PC, with 3Com 3c905 PCI card, NT4 SP3 only

> There have been a couple of strange Solaris reports using the SUNpro
> CC compile (3.0.1 I believe). If this matches your combination can you
> try re-compiling with gcc please.

Uh... no I'm using absolute standard gcc version 2.8.1 (installed
correctly with all fixincludes, etc) with just running "./configure" in
samba and not changing anything in the generated autoconf'ed Makefile &
config.h.

David Collier-Brown wrote:
> On Solaris, with the Sun compiler, make sure you're not using
> sunos4/bsd compatability libraries at the same time as normal ones.
> This sometimes happens when your search and library paths include
> /usr/ucblib... With gcc, I have no knowlege.

Yes, I know the song since I've been using SunOS for years
since version 4.1.2, so I'm pretty used to classic Sun tricks...

/usr/ucb and /usr/ucblib are way out of reach of anything I use,
guaranteed. Here's a proof:

% uname -a
SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
% ldd smbd
        libsec.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libsec.so.1
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2

It's also not in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and I didn't specify
any LD_RUN_PATH or changed anything in the Samba "./configure"
process.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
-- N.