Write permissions

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Mon Feb 8 18:49:50 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Roberto Mello <mello at internext.com.br>
carved some runes like this:

>  I'm having a problem with wirte permissions in my shares. Some shares of
> mine are to be accessed only by certain users so I put them in the valid
> users =  and write list =  and also these shares are read only = no and
> write able = yes, but even though THE VALID USERS CAN NOT WRITE to the
> share. Why ?? The only way I can make them have permission to write is
> putting them as admin users =  .

This is a function of the underlying unix permissions.  My
experience is with RedHat (who use the user-private group scheme)
so your mileage may vary.  For info on this scheme, see the RedHat
Installation Guide.

Make sure the files/dirs on your shares are not owned by root.
Create a group for your users and make it the owner of this tree.
Add users to this group.  Write list will allow the specified users
to write (while everyone can read) but valid users will restrict
both read and write access.  You may need to use the force user,
force group, create mode, etc, to get the behavior you want.

>   Also, can I set samba to be a Domain Controller ? (like NT)

Yes, but only version 2.x

Steve