AW: AW: Beware: Samba is a hoax

Rudolf Kollien Rudolf.Kollien at kollien.de
Sat Feb 6 17:29:11 GMT 1999

Networking itself is very simple but the several components of the
networking soft and hardware are very complex because there is no standard
in setup of the the different components.

As it seems that you can see your samba shares and (partialy) access them
your samba setup seems to be correct. So not the samba setup should be the
cause of your problems. It looks like there is a problem accessing the
network itself.

Try some network tests:

1) ping your linux box from win95 using the ip adress of the linux box. On a
clean network you should see a constant reply time (should be under or not
higher than a ms, depending on the ping tools measurement it may say zero
ms). I assume your win client and the linux box are on the same network
segment. If there is a inconsistancy in the ping reply time there is a
malfunction in some of the network components (maybe soft or hardware,
either on the server or client side).

2) try the ping from the linux box to your win client. The result should be
also constant ping reply time.

4) Next connect to your linux box via telnet (included in win95 or any other
terminal emulation able to use tcp/ip). Login as a user (may be root is not
allowed to do a remote connect. Depends on your linux setup). No produce a
long output. Suitable is "du /" or "find / -print". If your win client don't
seizure it looks good for your network equipment.

5) Test the route between the linux box and your win client using
traceroute. You will find out if there is a router/gateway between the two
systems which will cause a problem/timeout. If configuring routes for a unix
system (linux or any other) you should always give a name to the
router/gateway you are using. Means if you setup e.g.: "route add default
10.10.10.1" i recommend that you at least create a /etc/hosts file
containing "10.10.10.1   xyz". The routing always tries to resolve the name
of a router/gateway. List your routes on the linux box with "netstat -r".
The listing should be displayed quickly. If you have to wait a time there is
a address resolving problem. Look if you see a dummy device in the routes.
On some linux distributions it is setup by default. It is only used for ppp
login. Consult your linux distribution and remove it from the startup.

5) If test 1 to 5 are passed with good results you may raise your debuglevel
in the smb.conf (debuglevel=9 should be enough). Look at the log of the
samba server after connecting from the win client if there is any error
message. The log is usually under "/var/log/log.smb". Even if some messages
maybe "cryptic" you will easily identify an error message.

Again: as you were able to connect to samba you did the right config. If it
would be a problem of samba you were not able to connect to a resource.
Errors in the config result allways in denied accesses. Trust me: there is a
connection problem! Your samba config is ok. A soft/hardware problem may
also be on the linux side. Try connecting form other win clients (if you
didn't yet). If this causes the same errors look at your linux
configuration. A "netstat -i" lists you collisions or other errors on the
net. Perhaps you have a malfunctioning nic in the server. If you can use
another nic do so. Verify that the nic in the server works properly. Boot
with a dos disk and test the nic with the diagnostic program supplied by the
manufactor. Last week i got a SMC nic which was only able to negotiate at
100mbit with a switch over a 3 meter cable. Over a 5 meter cable there were
no sync. With the 3 meter i had no problems with linux. As i knew the 5
meter cable was ok i tested the nic with the dos diagnostic of SMC. It said
the nic was COMLETELY malfunction (wrong base address and used interrupt,
defect interface connector). Changing the nic the 3 and the 5 meter cable
both works fine, the dos diagnostic says all is ok. Linux is very fault
tolerant to the hardware (sometimes to tolerant).

System-Consulting Kollien
Rudolf Kollien

Email: kollien at kollien.de
Our home on the net: http://www.kollien.de
Never trust a operating system you have no sources for
This line is for the US NSA only: sex bomp terror attack drugs shit fbi cia