how do I migrate to encrypted

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Fri Feb 5 09:43:32 GMT 1999

> Then I would like to changeover.  Is there any way to do it
> incrementally, or do I have to change each server to "encrypt
> passwords = Yes", and undo the NT and 98 registry changes in one fell
> swoop?  Obviously I cannot have servers with encryption on and clients
> with encryption off.
May be this works. We are useing encrypted passwords on SAMBA for NT,
but also some old dos-clients that don't use encrypted passwords.

>  Is it also true that I cannot have servers with
> encryption off and clients with encryption on? (The state I would be
> in with some machines during transition).
That's tru

> The other question I have is:
> Is there any way to have a common password file.  Under my current
> plan, each user would have N_SAMBA_SERVERS + 1(NIS/UNIX) passwords.
Use one SAMBA-Server with a smbpasswd file, may be your NIS-Server
(this makeing password sycn. a bit easier). And for the other
SAMA-Servers use "security = server" (or may be "security = domain")

Christian