Samba printing

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Wed Feb 3 17:18:49 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Martin Frakes" <m_frakes at hotmail.com>
carved some runes like this:

> Is it possible to use Samba to print from a Unix machine to a printer
> connected to a Win 95 machine over a LAN? The printer is the Windows only
> HP Deskjet 820 Cxi.

It sure is (but may be dependent on your OS, etc).  Does your unix
box have the smbclient stuff?  If so, it should work.  In my case,
RedHat has a printer configuration tool that automatically sets up
/etc/printcap, nenscript & ghostscript printfilters, etc.  All I
had to do is specify a remote SMB printer and it works like a
champ.  Samba even picks them up and shares them back out again
(kind of voodoo, eh?).  YMMV.

Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437             voice: 805.734.8232 x68838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>