smbclient put 1/100 of the speed only

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Feb 2 17:38:41 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Thorsten Schnier
<thorsten at arch.su.edu.au> carved some runes like this:

> However, I noticed that doing a 'put' with smbclient
> is extremely slow. I've read the documentation,
> and played with all kinds of options, installed winsock-2
> on the windows machine (plus two newer patches), nothing helped.

What are the windows TCP/IP settings (ie, MTU, RWIN, etc)?  I have
a similar setup at home (cheapo ne2000 clones & coax); I get a
little over 500k/sec with ftp and a little over 400k/sec via smb
(averaged both ways).  The speed.txt docs mention a "threshold"
RWIN value (about 3072 or so).  I had big performance problems when
the windoze client was set at MTU=576, RWIN=2144 (previously
optimized for DUN connections).  When I bumped the RWIN setting up
to 4288 things started working much better.  Your mileage may
vary...

Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                     arnold.steve at ensco.com

Linux:  It's not just for nerds anymore...