Browse list replication across subnets

Steve Resnick steve at ducksfeet.com
Tue Dec 28 14:39:39 GMT 1999

I have a set of RFC1918 networks -- a subdivided class C network where my
local network
is 192.168.0.0/25 and the remote is 192.168.0.128/25. I am using CIPE over
an aDSL connection to make my local and remote nets talk to each other.

My Samba server is located behind my firewall, i.e., NOT on the machine
with the cipe interface.

I cannot get name resolution for the remote Samba server even though the
name is both in DNS and LMHOSTS. I CAN with SMBCLIENT view the remote
server, and I can connect to a share on the remote Samba server using
\\192.168.0.130\steve as the share name on my windoze machine.

What I can't do is get name resolution or get the remote net to show up in
the network neighborhood ...

Below is my global section from smb.conf on the local machine:
[global]
         workgroup = DFIPCORP
         netbios name = SRV
         server string = San Dimas Server
         interfaces = 192.168.0.10/25
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins support = Yes
         remote announce = 192.168.0.128/25
         remote browse sync = 192.168.0.130
         socket address = 192.168.0.10
         comment = San Dimas Server
         OS Level = 65
And here is the remote global section:
[global]
    workgroup = DFIPCORP
    netbios name = ds9x
    server string = San Jose Development Server
    interfaces = 192.168.0.130/25
    bind interfaces only = yes
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
    preferred master = yes