NetWare vs. Samba: printer timeouts

Johnny C. Lam lamj at stat.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 28 00:52:14 GMT 1999

I just recently switched over to Samba on NetBSD from NetWare 4.11.
One of the features that NetWare had was when capturing a printer to
LPTn, you could specify a timeout N where if a file being spooled is
inactive for N seconds, then it is considered finished, and the file
is forcibly closed and sent to the printer.  This was good, since I
have some old DOS programs which don't seem to properly close the
printer device after writing to it.  Is there some way I can emulate
this behaviour with Samba?  Can I make this a feature request for a
future version of Samba, e.g. making "printer timeout" a share
variable in smb.conf?

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj at stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/