Connecting to [homes] ... yes, another password question

Adam Getchell acgetchell at ucdavis.edu
Wed Dec 8 16:45:38 GMT 1999

Hello,

First, I have to commend O'Reilly for publishing their excellent book on line.
After reading through Chapter 7 yesterday, I was finally able to get Samba up
and running on my NT domain using encrypted passwords and domain security.

Naturally, something broke yesterday around the time wins was set.

In earlier versions of smb.conf, I configured [homes] so that I could connect
as my linux username from my NT (actually, W2K) box and be automatically
dropped into my home directory. Worked great, and I could read it fine.

So, last night after adding the wins server line (I think), I disconnected my
share mapping to my home directory and tried to reconnect. The error message is
(W2K side): "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different
user name and password. To connect using a different user name and password,
first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share".

Just to verify this, I disconnected my data drive and reconnected. This worked
fine, no password prompt.

So, next I had a look at my smbpasswd file, and used smbpasswd to synchronize
my smb password with my linux user account password. Note: this password is
different from my password on my NT account. So, to resolve that potential
discrepancy, I ran smbpasswd and changed the password to match my NT password,
then waited 15 minutes or so for good measure, and retried the connection. This
also did not work, and generated the same error message.

A (possibly) related issue: I set logging to go to both samba.log and syslogs.
Hence, logcheck reports this every 15 minutes (hmmm...the browse refresh
interval):

Dec  7 20:04:40 ollin inetd[31932]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Dec  7 20:14:40 ollin inetd[31932]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Dec  7 20:24:40 ollin inetd[31932]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Dec  7 20:34:40 ollin inetd[31932]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Dec  7 20:44:40 ollin inetd[31932]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Dec  7 20:54:40 ollin inetd[31932]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
        #       Server configuration parameters
        netbios name = OLLIN
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        workgroup = DOM
        wins server = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
        encrypt passwords = yes
        security = domain
        smb passwd file = /home/samba/private/smbpasswd
        invalid users = root bin daemon adm lp sync shutdown \
        halt mail news uucp operator gopher xfs gdm postgres squid
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd

        #       Networking configuration options
        hosts allow = XXX.XXX.XXX.
        interfaces = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/255.255.255.0
        bind interfaces only = yes

        # Debug logging information
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        debug timestamp = yes
        syslog = 2
[test]
        comment = For testing only, please
        path = /home/export/test
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes

[data]
        path = /home/export/samba/data
        comment = Data Drive
        volume = Sample-Data-Drive
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

[homes]
        browsable = no
        writable = yes

Thanks!

 --
*	Adam Getchell
*	acgetchell at ucdavis.edu
"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability in the opponent." -- Sun Tzu