WIN 2K and Samba 2.0.5a

Luke Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Fri Dec 3 14:41:45 GMT 1999

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, William Jojo wrote:

> Thanks so much for the reply. It clears up a great deal for me. I've used the
> CVS code before, but since we're production with 4600 student accounts and 600
> workstations, I can't in good conscience use "prealpha" code in our student
> environment.

one option you might want to consider is to use 2.1prealpha as the PDC,
specifying a 2.0.X server in all user's home directories (logon path =
\\samba-20x\%U).

then again, if you use win2k it doesn't matter if the target is a pdc or
not: if it's 2.0.x, you will run into difficulties with the 2.0.x msrpc
code.

> Perhaps you or others on the team could give us some indication of
> when the PDC code - currently prealpha - will be made a production
> unit.

jean francois kindly volunteered for the task of patching a 7megabyte diff
file.  he currently has this finished but not compiling.

he's busy, and it's not his main job.  if you can find someone to pay him
to work full-time on samba, he'll do it :)

> I liked what I used a year ago from the CVS tree, but again I can't ask our
> institution to go there.

no problem.

luke