NT4SP5 Encryption and mksmbpasswd

Adam Getchell acgetchell at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 23 21:39:18 GMT 1999

Hi all,

Reading through ENCRYPTION.txt it says to do the following:

cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh >/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

However, on my Samba-2.05a install (onto RH 6.0), /usr/local/samba doesn't
exist. Instead, all the files listed in ENCRYPTION.txt and WinNT.txt are in the
/usr/bin directory.

Amongst other things, this means I can't set the recommended security perms on
the /usr/local/samba/private directory, and I suspect the script will fail.

Question: Should I create /usr/local/samba/ and various subdirectories, and
make symlinks to the old locations in /usr/bin? Or is there a neater way to do
this (e.g. recompile samba)?

Question: Does the use of shadow passwords change the above procedure?

Thanks for your help!
 --
*	Adam Getchell
*	acgetchell at ucdavis.edu