Jet Direct Printers and Plotters

Michael Heironimus mkh at leonov.che.iit.edu
Sun Aug 22 18:32:06 GMT 1999

> We have a HP Design Jet 650C Plotter which is hooked to the net via a
> jetdirect nic. Now I dont have a clue on how to use this plotter over
> the net. It doesent show up in the network neighborhood and I cant find
> anything about jetdirect plotters in the Linux documentation or the
> inet. The server is running Suse Linux 6.2 and Samba 2.05a.

As I recall, our HP jetdirect printer (LaserJet 4si, I think) is just used
by the UNIX machines as a remote print queue. Set up a printcap entry for
a remote print spool just like you would if you were printing to a print
server running lpd, but the rm= line should be the jetdirect's address.

Windows needs a special jetdirect driver to access it. As a result, most
of our UNIX machines print straight to the printer (I probably should
change that) while all the NT machines print through the server.

Michael Heironimus
                -- Thomas Edison