FW: HELP: having problem with timestamps of files with linux sam ba client and winnt shared drive

Jan Kratochvil short at ucw.cz
Wed Aug 11 20:19:37 GMT 1999

Hi

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 03:56:18PM -0400, Gonda, Rumi wrote:
> thanks for your help, it was useful.  i read the document and looked around

  Glad to hear that...

> some more.  since i don't have the luxury to rebuild the kernel do you know

  What "luxury"? If you have any Linux machine (probably yes :-) ), you can
build it yourself. Where's the problem?

> if there is a way of reversing the setup.  the text file show how you can

  If I remember good in the old kernels it really wasn't possible (there
were only "|=" C constructs with any "=" or "&=" there).

> disable win95 and rebuild kernel and then mount with x755 option to enable
> the option.  i cant rebuild so i want to just at mount time disable this

  In Samba-2.0.5a the mount options '-f' in smbmount(1) were removed due
to the kernel autodetect feature discussed below.

> feature.  do you have any ideas how to do that?  smbmount does not give me
> any option to give mode field.  should I just go into the /etc/mtab and add
> it?

  In "mtab" it wouldn't help - the filesystem is already mounted and this
file is only a trace of it. BTW "mtab" is more-or-less obsolete these days,
"/proc/mounts" is The Right(tm) source of authoritative filesystem info.

  But even if you can't compile your own kernel (?) you can just upgrade
to precompiled kernel for your distribution version 2.2.10 (2.2.11) -
- I've right now looked and in the patch file 2.2.9->2.2.10 there was removed
the WIN95 bug workaround compile-time option and now 2.2.10 kernels properly
autodetect the server type and behave accordingly.

> thanks, (RUMI) (c).
				Bye, Lace