Samba eating CPU ressources

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Wed Apr 14 22:50:46 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Gerald Carter <cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU>
carved some runes like this:

> Tomek Jarosinski wrote:
> >
> > when people are working with netscape (netscape cache is
> > in their homes), but also with some other application
> > (SPSS). We plan to set for all 2000 users netscape
> > cache on c:\temp, but with 1.9.18 this problem
> > was not existing.
>
> I have always had this problem with netscape.  Always
> better to cache to the local disk.

Actually, using a proxy cache (like squid) is even better.  Then
you can set the Netscape client disk caches to zero.  It's really
fast, saves bandwidth, and gives good error messages and ftp
listings.  I use squid and samba on the same linux box at home and
it works great.  In a larger organization, you can configure
multiple squid caches in a parent/child/sibling relationship; then
it *really* starts to shine.  Just a thought...