Cant get to my dirs

Steve_Weaver/PeopleSoft at peoplesoft.com Steve_Weaver/PeopleSoft at peoplesoft.com
Tue Apr 13 15:04:43 GMT 1999

Michael Katz wrote:

I'm trying to acces my samba server from a winnt box... I can see the dirs on
the samba server ... btu I can not get in to them... it asks for a user name
and password... it does not mater which one I use I can't get in... I try my
unix name and pass/ or my NT user name and pass... I have the samba server
to "security = domain" and I have my pdc netbios name listed.. as well as my
wins server....  I hava computer account on my domain for the linux box ..

any ideas on this would be great... I dont seem to be able to use the
smbpasswd comand (if it is a command)

Reply:
I had a similar problem.  I read the text document DOMAIN_MEMBER.TXT,  however,
I missed the portion that said..."You must also have the parameter "encrypt
passwords" set to "yes" in order for your users to authenticate to the NT PDC."

So I edited my [global] to look like:

security = domain
encrypt passwords = yes

and things worked much better.

Regarding smbpasswd, change directories to your samba directory
(/usr/local/samba) and from the command line enter:

>./smbpasswd -j  YOUR-NT-DOMAIN -r YOUR-PDC-NAME

When you mentioned "I have a computer account on my domain for the linux box .."
I hope you meant that you ran SRVMGR.EXE and added your Samba machine to the
domain.  If you haven't, you'll need to do that before running smbpasswd.

I hope that helps,

Steve

"The  pictures, words, and descriptions of these comments are of my own and not
PeopleSoft Inc or Major League Baseball."