Errors when NT4sp3 is the client; 95 works

Tony Drolson TDrolson at sfaids.ucsf.edu
Sat Apr 10 08:20:42 GMT 1999

I am trying to get Samba 2.0.3 up on MacOSXServer (which is BSD 4.4). I
can't get NT to recognize samba shares. Samba is running as security=server,
pointed to an NT PDC for security (using the netbios name; should this be by
ip address?); passwords are encrypted.

I can use smbclient to attach to my own samba shares. I can also attach to
other NT shares as a client and view network lists.

I can resolve netbios names with nblookup (but only my static IP servers;
DHCP workstation clients don't return their ip). But I can't nblookup with
-d (broadcasting--no responses at all; this was working fine earlier under a
previous attempt at installing samba, so it probably isn't an ip/mask
error). And while my samba server appears in Windows' network list, any
attempt to "net view" or "net use" from Windows NT4sp3 gives me this error:

System error 26 has occurred.
The remote procedure call failed.

Samba logs the event under samba/var/log.<client>:

(time code) lib/util.c:fault.report(41)
INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 1428 (2.0.3)
Please read the file Bugs.txt in the distribution
(time code) lib/util.c:fault.report(43)
=======================
(time code) lib/util.c:smb.panic(2383)
PANIC: Internal error
(time code) smb/ipc.c:api.fd.reply(3301)
api.fd.reply: INVALID PIPE HANDLE: 702d
(time code) smb/process.c:timeout.processing(795)
Reloading services after SIGHUP

Strangely enough, Windows95 can see and use the shares fine. It looks like
an encrypted passwords problem, no? But I can access NT shares as a
smbclient and authenticate fine there.

Any help you can provide or resources you can direct me to would be much
appreciated. Thanks,

Tony Drolson
MIS Director
UCSF Positive Health Program