Please help with Configuration Problem

Cory Derrick coryderrick at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 02:52:10 GMT 1999

Please forgive me for what is probably a trivial solution but I am
having problems getting a certain level of access to my Samba server for
users across our network.  I have spent a good bit of time reading
through the Samba book by John Blair and would spend more time but I
have got to figure this out by the end of the weekend. ANY help would be
greatly appreciated.  Here is what I need and what I have.

Our network consists of 6000+ users on several different NT domains that
have no trust relationships between them (and probably never will).  I
have a Redhat 5.2 Linux box running Samba-1.9.18p10-5 that I want to
allow users to access. Out of all of the users, less than 10 of them
need read/write access a particular share. All remaining users (in all
domains) need to be have read only access to the same share.  I really
don't want to have to maintain user accounts for all 6000+ users on the
Redhat box.  I would prefer to only have accounts for the 10 or so users
that need write access on the Redhat box and allow the other users to
connect as a guest user. I have tried several different combinations
with user and share level security but have ran into problems. Can
anyone give me any ideas as to the best way to accomplish this.

Also, how can I get Win95 user to pass a different userid than that of
the one they are currently logged into the domain with?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

- C. Derrick