Server authenticating

Tony N tonynich at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:02:21 GMT 1998

We have a server running SCO unix 5.04. This is used to authenticate our
Win95 clients when they log on (as domain controller), provide shares
and so forth. Now we have another server running linux 2.0.30. Both use
SAMBA 1.9.19p10. and encrypted passwords. We would like to control
access to shared folders on the LINUX machine authenticated using
username/password pairs, prefereably using the SCO box for security.
This looks simple, using
security = server
password server =   # IP number of SCO box

..but the request is denied. In other words, it just doesnt seem to
work. What have I missed? This is part of the SCO boxes smb.conf file -
        domain master = yes
        preserve case = yes
	short preserve case = yes
	unix password sync = yes
        case sensitive = no
        logon path = \\Bedford\profiles\%U
	server string = Bedford Samba Server
	os level = 16
	domain logons = yes
	logon script = scripts\%m\%U\logon.bat
        printcap = /etc/printcap
	printing = sysv
        security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	browseable = yes
	guest account = guest
	max log size = 256
        share modes = yes
        strict locking = no
        locking = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	passwd program = /opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.4Eb/bin/passwd %n
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
	passwd chat = "*default is 1):*" \n "*New password:*" %n\n \
                 "*Re-enter password:*" %n\n
	directory mask = 0777
	map archive = no
	writable = yes
	browseable = yes

..and this is from the Linux boxes smb.conf file --

[global]
	os level = 0
	browseable = yes
	read only = no
	printing = sysv
	share modes = yes
	server string = Intranet Server
	getwd cache = yes
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
	create mode = 0777
	map archive = no
	printcap = /etc/printcap
	max log size = 256
	browseable = yes
	encrypt passwords = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	writable = yes
	guest ok =yes
	load printers = yes
#	password server = 132.147.160.1  #IP Number of SCO Box.
#	security = server

errr - help?

Many thanks.

Tony Nichols