managing users from smbpasswd rather than /etc/passwd

Eric Warnke eric at snowmoon.com
Thu Sep 24 05:17:15 GMT 1998

Tony,

FYI: I have a few hunderd smb user by the end of every school year.  Since
90% of them are only there for one service (printing), I have created a
shell ( or was it perl ) script to add them to /etc/passwd with the same
UID/home/group...  it makes controling the account very easy, and gives smb
just wat it needs for that user.  This setup is great for bulk read-only
access and printing with a password.

For those users that need read/write or special priveleges, I have real
accounts ( unique UID/group/home ), so I can use unix permissions on the
files I'm sharing to them.

This is all under solaris using useradd scripted.

Eric Warnke
System Admin - ResNet
University at Albany, NY
eric at snowmoon.com / ericw at albany.edu