SAMBA digest 1807

Stefaan A Eeckels Stefaan.Eeckels at ecc.lu
Thu Sep 10 16:18:38 GMT 1998

On 09-Sep-98 samba at samba.anu.edu.au wrote:
>  Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 08:48:24 +0200
>  From: franca at provincia.torino.it (Franca Vercellone)

I'll answer this in English (I speak and read Italian, but
writing is another matter ;-)

>  HO un problema grandissimo.
>  Tutte le volte che il server sul quale e' configurato samba reboostrappa,
>  non si riesce piu' a stampare dalle stampanti condivise con samba.
>  Basta fare /etc/init.d/sambaserver stop
>             /etc/init.d/sambaserver start   e tutto rifunziona.
>  Ho gia' messo nel crontab questo comando per far restartare i processi un
>  minuto dopo che il server e' salito...ma non server...Deve prorpio essere
>  fatto a mano.
>  I processi partono nel /etc/rc3.d con il seguente script :

Could you provide some information on your system?
(OS, relevant sections of smb.conf, spooler, etc).

> #!/bin/sh
> #ident  "@(#)samba.server 1.0   96/06/19 TK"    /* SVr4.0 1.1.13.1*/
> #
> # Please send info on modifications to knuutila at cs.utu.fi
> #
> # This file should have uid root, gid sys and chmod 744
> #
>
>  killproc() {            # kill the named process(es)
>          pid=`/usr/bin/ps -e |
>               /usr/bin/grep -w $1 |
>               /usr/bin/sed -e 's/^  *//' -e 's/ .*//'`
>          [ "$pid" != "" ] && kill $pid
>  }
Why are you using this (unreliable) method to kill
processes? Check if your system doesn't have 'killall'
or a similar command.

> # Start/stop processes required for samba server
>
>  case "$1" in
>
>  'start')
> #
> # Edit these lines to suit your installation (paths, workgroup, host)
> #
>     awk -F: ' $1 ~ /^[A-z]+/ { printf ( "%s|", $1)} END { printf ("\n")}'
>       /etc/printcap > /opt/samba/printcap 2>/dev/null
Is this supposed to make a samba printcap file? Any reason why
you can't use /etc/printcap? I have the following in smb.conf:
    [global]
    ;  Printing
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /etc/printcap

Have you checked the contents of /opt/samba/printcap after the
machine has booted? It could well be that there is no path
to 'awk' when running the boot processes; the PATH is often
to blame when bootup scripts behave differently when run from a
logged-in account. The fact that it doesn't work when run from
cron also points to this.

>     /opt/samba/bin/smbd -D -s/opt/samba/smb.conf
>     /opt/samba/bin/nmbd -D -H /opt/samba/hosts -n LMserver-vc
>           -l/opt/samba/log -s/opt/samba/smb.conf
>     ;;
>  'stop')
>     killproc nmbd
>     killproc smbd
>     ;;
>  *)
>     echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/samba.server { start | stop }"
>     ;;
>  esac
>
>  VI prego....AIUTATEMI !!!!!!!!!! Non so piu' cosa fare per risolvere
>  questo DRAMMA.....
Why is it such a drama? Do you need to reboot the server so often
it's wearing the carpet out?
Also, I'd suggest you check whether Samba is started before or
after the print spooler, and if this makes a difference.

>  Grazie
Prego.

Stefaan
--