Changing "Shutdown" to "Log off" in Win95?

Robert Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sun Oct 18 13:54:06 GMT 1998

> From: "Daryl L. Biberdorf" <darylb at superserve.com>
> To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
> Subject: Changing "Shutdown" to "Log off" in Win95?
>
> The Samba set up we're using to support 25 or so Win 95 clients
> is working well, but my users are usually not up to complicated
> tasks. Has anyone found a way to get logging out down to a single
> action (like, Start/Logout), instead of Start/Shutdown/Close all
> programs and log in as another user/Yes?
>
> I'm tired of explaining this already! :)
>
> Daryl
> Daryl Biberdorf		darylb at superserve.com

Our User Services Group had the same complaint.

The 'solution' was to write a little program to provide a logout dialog
which we could then put a shortcut for on the desktop (and add a hot key
sequence for in the Properties dialog).

You can find 'Logout95' at http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~suq96rcf/tools/

Run it with '/?' for help on the various options.

The are plans for the dialog box to be replaced by a nicer, custom one
(instead of the standard Windows MessageBox(), one).

Of course, another way would be to install IE4's new desktop... that will
give you a 'Logout' option (along with several Mb of other rubbish, too!).

  - Bob

  I also seek adventure and fortune in the New World! -> esteban at mince.net
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{]                            Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/