Passwords

Florian G. Pflug fgp at fgp.priv.at
Sun Oct 11 15:02:57 GMT 1998

Hi

I'm trying to introduce samba at my school, but I'm having problems.
I user samba-1.9.18p10, with Debian 1.3.1
We have some WfW 3.11 clients.
The following happens:
.) The clients can't connect as a user that hast "" (nothing) as password.
	This also happend with smbclient as client
.) User whos password is longer then 8 characters can't connect with
smbclient, if the type in more then 8 characters at the password prompt. If
they type only the first 8 charactes, then can connect without a problem.

We don't user encrypted password (I guess WfW 3.11 doesn't support them).

It looks as if the password-comparing code in 1.9.18p10 is broken - but of
course I can be wrong.

                                               Greetings from Vienna

                                                  Florian Pflug