Serious cross-subnet browsing question

Shane Ramey shane at broadlink.com
Fri Oct 2 23:07:05 GMT 1998

I've been having troubles getting cross subnet browsing working in
existance with a WinNT domain master (hey, it's not my machine).
Basically what is happening is that I am trying to setup a VPN (which
shouldn't complicate things) that browsing will work across. The idea is
this:

There is an office in my local city that I'm connecting San Francisco to
via VPN. The TCP/IP part is working great, no problems there. I am
running Samba on the routers.The network diagram looks roughly like
this:

Santa Rosa (Local City):          DMB
                                                        /
    Win95        Win95        WinNT4.0        Router1 + Samba (WINS)
           |                    |
|                        |
            ----------------------+

((Internet))

          -----------------------+
          |                     |
|                           |
       Win95        Win95        Win95               Router2 + Samba

Router1 is acting as a WINS server, and Router2 should be sending its
browse list to Router1. The Domain Master Browser (WinNT4.0) should be
acting as the master browser for both subnets. The WINS server should
add all of Router2's subnet to it's list. All clients are configured to
use Router1 as it's WINS server. This is all very hard to explain, but
it must be possible. Ok. So... What doesn't work about it is this:

1)    Router1's subnet cannot see any machines on Router2's in Network
Neighborhood (Including Router2), but all machines are accessible if
I do a 'find computer' on any Win machine. They simply are not showing
up in Network Neighborhood.
2)    From Router2's side, I can see every machine on Router1's subnet
perfectly and they are all accessible, but I can not see Router2 which
is on the same network.

This leads me to believe that it is Router2 that is misconfigured. I
have tried configuring it differently a lot, and have bought the
Samba: Integrating UNIX and Windows book to help me with this. (By the
way, GREAT book). I still am having these troubles after following these
examples. I'm desperate.

Here are my configuration files:
* Router1's smb.conf *

workgroup = LaserVue
server string = "Private VPN"
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 172.16.1.2 172.16.1.1 127.
guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba
max log size = 50
security = share
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24 172.16.1.1/24
local master = no
os level = 13
domain master = no
preferred master = no
wins support = yes
wins proxy = yes
dns proxy = yes
read prediction = yes
netbios name = VPN1
time server = yes

* Router2's smb.conf *

workgroup = LaserVue
server string = "Private VPN"
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 172.16.1.1 172.16.1.2 127.
guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba
max log size = 50
security = share
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
interfaces = 192.168.2.1/24 172.16.1.2/24
local master = yes
os level = 31
domain master = no
preferred master = yes
wins support = no
wins server = 192.168.1.1
wins proxy = yes
dns proxy = yes
read prediction = yes
netbios name = VPN2
time server = yes

I know this message was quite large, but I am in need of assistance with
this problem. If anyone has ever dealt with a similar issue, please
e-mail me as well as the samba mail list. (I am a busy man and do not
catch every digest). I truly appreciate your time. Thank you.

--
Shane Ramey
Systems Administrator
(707) 578-7229 x113     shane at broadlink.com