Outlook and MS-Outlook

Onebear onebear at erols.com
Sat Nov 28 18:14:22 GMT 1998

I am having some issues with Samba and Outlook... We just upgraded from
1.9.17 to 1.9.18 and now we seem to have some severe slow downs in using
Outlook. The mailbox.pst files are stored in everyones home directories
that are located on a linux share. Before when people searched for a name
it would take no time. Now it acts like on every search that anyone does or
opening of a calendar, etc. it is pulling the whole file over, even if you
do it numerous times in a row (watching tcpdump outputs to see the
traffic). I know that they have by default enabled oplocks but even
disabling it doesn't help (used the oplocks = False switch). I even tried
doing it by using the veto oplock ( I think that was it ) switch with
/*.pst/ as the value. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to what else I am
missing or what has changed that would help I would appreciate it. I have
included a copy of the smb.conf file to see if that will help. I moved one
of the mailbox.pst files over to a Microsoft share and it works great but I
don't want to resort to that... Also, if it matter this system is doing IP
MASQ also.

A portion of the smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = POCKETINFO

   server string = Linux Internet Gateway

;  guest account = pcguest

    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

;   include = /etc/smb.conf.%m

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   interfaces = 192.168.0.4/24

# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
    remote announce = 192.168.0.255

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;   local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
    os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
;    domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on

# startup and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the
# election
    preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
     domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat
# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
# %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
# You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

;  name resolve order = host bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
# Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
# both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one	WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
;  default case = lower