NT3.51 slow file access

Marc C. Poulin mcp at phor.com
Thu Nov 19 21:24:38 GMT 1998

Hi:
  We have a network of Unix (Solaris 2.6) and windows 95 machines. We
currently run samba v1.9.18p10 on one of the unix machines to share
user's home directories, and a common directory for projects
(/doc). Our Win95 machines work fine when it comes to accessing the
unix machine's data.

We recently added an NT 3.51 machine (running Citrix WinFrame, fyi) to
the network.  Using the File Manager, we added two network drives: A
for the home directory, and B for doc.  When users log in, they map to
their home directories properly, they can browse normally.  The same
goes for the doc directory.

However, when a user attempts to load or save a file from their home
directory, it often takes an inordinate amount of time to bring the
file into the application (Word, for example). Sometimes 3-4 minutes
to load a 20K file. The problem is not server load or network
congestion.  Loading/saving files locally to the NT machine happens at
normal speed.  Interestingly, often after a file loads very slowly
from a user's home directory, subsequent loads and saves of the same
file will happen at a more reasonable speed.  Also, we seem to have
random permission problems when attempting to save files to the doc
partition. (i.e. the user gets a permission denied or disk full error
when attempting to save). I've appended our smb.conf and testparm
dump.

thanks in advance for any assistance,
Marc Poulin

-------------- /etc/smb.conf --------------------
[global]
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
 	printing = bsd
        printcap name = romana:/etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        create mode = 660
        guest account = guest

[homes]
        guest ok = no
	read only = no
[doc]
	path=/export/doc
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
	alternate permissions = yes
        create mode = 660
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[doc]"
Processing section "[tglaptop]"
Loaded services file OK.
# Global parameters
	debuglevel = 2
	syslog = 1
	syslog only = No
	protocol = NT1
	security = SHARE
	max disk size = 0
	lpq cache time = 10
	announce as = NT
	encrypt passwords = No
	update encrypted = No
	getwd cache = Yes
	read prediction = No
	read bmpx = Yes
	read raw = Yes
	write raw = Yes
	use rhosts = No
	load printers = Yes
	null passwords = No
	strip dot = No
	interfaces =
	bind interfaces only = No
	networkstation user login = No
	password server =
	socket options =
	netbios name =
	netbios aliases =
	smbrun = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbrun
	log file =
	config file =
	smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
	hosts equiv =
	preload =
	server string = Samba 1.9.18p10
	printcap name = romana:/etc/printcap
	lock dir = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
	root directory = /
	default service =
	message command =
	dfree command =
	passwd program = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd
	passwd chat = *old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*
	passwd chat debug = No
	valid chars =
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
	username map =
	character set =
	logon script =
	logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
	logon drive =
	logon home = \\%N\%U
	remote announce =
	remote browse sync =
	socket address = 0.0.0.0
	homedir map =
	announce version = 4.2
	max log size = 5000
	mangled stack = 50
	max mux = 50
	max xmit = 65535
	max packet = 65535
	name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
	packet size = 65535
	password level = 0
	username level = 0
	keepalive = 0
	deadtime = 0
	time offset = 0
	read size = 16384
	shared mem size = 102400
	coding system =
	client code page = 850
	os level = 0
	max ttl = 14400
	max wins ttl = 259200
	min wins ttl = 21600
	lm announce = Auto
	lm interval = 60
	dns proxy = Yes
	wins support = No
	wins proxy = No
	wins server =
	preferred master = No
	local master = Yes
	domain master = No
	domain logons = No
	browse list = Yes
	unix realname = No
	NIS homedir = No
	unix password sync = No
	time server = No
	ole locking compatibility = Yes
	printer driver file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def

# Default service parameters
	comment =
	copy =
	include =